Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a start
09-01-2013, 07:23 AM,
Just a start
Just figured I'd put a thread up on this..It was looking kinda lonely, with no entries...LOL.

So what issues are important to women?
- All the same issues that are important to men, plus those that affect us directly. Not to say that men aren't interested in "women's" issues, I've known many male feminists over the years.

In the year 2013, the Equal Rights Amendment still has not passed.

Many women are still paid less than men for the same work. The Lilly Ledbetter law, as I expected was just some window dressing. I've not heard of any enforcement of it.

Reproductive rights are facing attacks across the country as abortion clinics are attacked procedurally, forcing many to close. Planned Parenthood is also being attacked and I heard something about a scandal related to some Medicare fraud.

Sexual assault in the military was being championed by Kirsten Gillibrand,D, NY, but I heard she hit some road blocks from the military boys club in her efforts to change military policy.

Finally, I tried getting involved with the women's rights movement back a few years ago, when I decided to check out NOW, down in NYC. I went to a meeting, where a group sat around the table. When I introduced myself and said I wanted to volunteer, the women around the table looked at me like I was a bug. I never went back, LOL.
09-01-2013, 09:11 AM,
RE: Just a start
I think this is a great topic. I'd like to hear from women on this. I would like to see the courts begin to treat gender with the same level of scrutiny as it does race in cases of discrimination.